One of my favorite foods is eggs. I love them any way, any how, and any where. Tonight, as I drove home from work, I suddenly had the inevitable craving for eggs. I stopped at Safeway and picked up some ingredients. Tonight, I did an experiment. And I (and my boyfriend) think it was successful, yipee! It was great for dinner but would be good for breakfast or lunch too. I mean, eggs are ideal at any meal for me so ofcourse I would say that.
Gruyere, Ham, and Egg Open Faced Sandwich
- 1 loaf of bread (I used Rosemary)
- Gruyere cheese
-Ham (I used ham steak)
-Salt and pepper to taste
1. Slice the bread diagonally and lay out on baking sheet. Broil in oven so that it becomes lightly toasted. Spread mustard on slices and set aside.
2. Slice cheese into 1/4 inch thick pieces. Set aside.
3. Heat a saute pan at medium heat. Melt 1/2 teaspoon of butter. Add ham and cook thoroughly (takes about 3 minutes if you use ham steak). During the last minute, add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and sprinkle over ham.
4. Place ham on top of mustard.
5. Poach eggs and dry off. Place one egg on top of the ham for each piece of bread.
6. Arrange cheese all over top of egg and bread. Place back in over for 5 minutes under broil setting.
Does it sound good? Go try it!